Monday, January 6, 2014

1/5/2014 - I HATE JFK AIRPORT!!!


I think that the most challenging part of this trip may actually be getting out of the US.
 
Just as I was feeling pretty cocky that I picked the right departure from Tampa to NYC - feeling sorry for the folks on flight 326, who were delayed 4 hours because their plane slid off the ice on the JFK runway (NOT) - we didn't take off until about 1 hour later.  Not to worry though - I had a 4 hour window between my flight to JFK and my flight to Casablanca... (Little did I know the Casablanca flight is now also delayed about 4 hours now, and maybe, just maybe we'll be on our merry way from JFK by 9 PM)
.
Normally I could roll with this but JFK airport absolutely sucks!  There was absolutely no signage for the international terminal or the air train from the Jet Blue terminal.  Forget about the "ASK" desk - that line was a mile long. Security, moving at a snail's pace,  took over an hour to go through. And almost all the sit down restaurants were a floor above the security line.  Guess what? if you wanted to eat at any of these places, you'd have to come back through security AGAIN!!! Are you kidding me?????  Who designed this airport - someone on crack???


Note to self ... no more international flights out of JFK.  This trip had no other options, but for future trips count me among the fans of Newark's International Airport, Atlanta's Hartsfield Airport, LAX, San Fran - anyone but JFK!

3 comments:

  1. I too have JFK horror stories. But alas the only route direct from NYC to Casablanca is from JFK. So keep you fingers crossed for your return and my flight there in five weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree JFK is a nightmare airport. Glad you finally made it

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Barb- wish I had paid closer attention to your info in this very post- when my buddy Georgia and I did the very same transfer we were lucky enough to have a lady at the ask desk who directed us right away to the hike to the air train from the Jet Blue terminal - so that went relatively smoothly- but as you said the food in the international terminal was really outside security and upstairs- and the line was endless- so we ended up with sucky sandwiches at the only place inside the secure area-

    we did one smart thing though- when we checked in at the desk we were waiting in line and so I asked a guy who was "the guard at the business classs line" how much the upgrades were and if they were available- the price was pretty steep so we declined but when we got to the desk to check in I figured it wouldn't hurt to make them an offer - what could they do? say No- LOL anyway they said they would ask and that would involve some supervisor intervention etc.... so we went on our merry way (or not so merry) through security and figured we would never hear from them again but after our crummy sandwich the gal from the desk out front came up to us at the gate and said she needed our credit cards because our offer had been approved! so we got to go to the club and ride in business for the overnight flight! I was already bargaining like a berber woman!!!

    ReplyDelete